Thursday, August 11, 2005

Booklist

Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez - Earl, a vampire, and Duke, a werewolf, are travelling through Texas when they come across an old diner where supernatural activity is nothing new. After dispatching a horde of zombies, the two friends stay on to help rid the diner, and the world, of the threat of Armageddon. This was an entertaining read. Very funny in a weird sort of way. Granted, it had it's moments of gore and fright but, at it's core, it's a comedy. Not sure a sequel is in the works or not. If so, I may visit Gil's again.
Hunted Past Reason by Richard Matheson - A novelist, doing research for a backpacking book, is taken on a wilderness hike by an actor aquaintance. As the trip goes on, the actor reveals his mental instability and begins to hunt the novelist. This book could have been better. I wanted it to be better. However, it wasn't great. The breakdown of the actor was not believable. After all, the two men debate religion and the existence of God and how God let's bad things happen to good people and then, all of a sudden, the guy goes nuts. Give me a break. The unspeakable acts the actor perpetrates after his breakdown made me ill. (and I have a strong disposition) All in all, I'd have to say this was not worth reading. Glad I only paid a buck for it at Dollar General.

No comments: