Friday, August 26, 2005

Shake It Up, Baby!

From our friend Deanna in Asheville comes this bit of news.

And here’s a bit of news to distract you for a moment. Wednesday night, a little after 11:00, we had an earthquake. People are still talking about it, and it’s still on the local news. It measured 3.8, which is a big one for this area. It woke me up out of a sound sleep! There was a boom, which did the initial waking up, followed by a shaking that lasted quite a few seconds – felt like at least 30 seconds, anyway, because I lay in bed wondering what the heck was going on and when it was going to stop! Poor Mom had a real fright, though. She was headed into the bedroom and was passing by the china cabinet when the quake hit. She could feel the floor shaking beneath her feet, and all of her dishes were rattling. She yelled for John, who had also woken up when it hit. It was all very exciting.

I've never experienced an earthquake. Three months after I leave Asheville and they have one. I guess I should be thankful but I've always wanted to know what it feels like. I'm actually reading a novel about earthquakes right now. They say Seattle gets them once in a blue moon. So, I've experienced the whole hurricane and tornado thing in the south. Out here, it's earthquakes and volcanoes. Shake, rattle, and roll!

No comments: