Monday, August 01, 2005

Mars Hill Church

Sarah and I attended Mars Hill Church a couple of times over the past few weeks. I had heard great things about it over the years and wanted to see what the hype was all about. The services were ok...well done and slick. The music was really good. What turned us off was the preaching. The pastor delivers a good sermon but it's way too long. He preached well over an hour both times we went and what he said could have been boiled down to 30-40 minutes tops. A friend hinted that the pastor there likes himself too much and I understood his comment all too well. It's been my experience that pastors become full of themselves, using the excuse of presenting the gospel as a way to get their stage time. In some of the churches I have served in, the pastor won't give up his sermon time for anything. In one particular church, the pastor told me that it isn't a service unless the gospel is preached. Well, the gospel can be preached in many ways, through music, drama, etc. To me, it's just arrogance and self-importance showing through. St. Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words." Enough said. Another thing about Mars Hill we didn't like was the lack of creativity. No drama, video or anything. Just the same old contemporary church fall back order of service. Worship, preaching, etc. Nothing new. So, Sarah and I are attending Sanctuary. It is true they are not using creativity to it's fullest either but the pastor really ministers to folks. His heart is to reach the community not to build a grand megachurch. After all I've been through, I can relate to that. Outside the walls of the church is where it's going to happen these days. It's just like a drama I saw presented one time. Two old guys are fishing in their driveway and one comments that they have been faithful and one day the fish will just come to them. Yeah, right! You gotta go to the lake, people! For now, Sarah and I will continue at Sanctuary and hopefully God will show us what it is He would have us do.

No comments: