Tuesday, August 30, 2005

In or Out

It is highly disturbing how much the church of today is focused inward instead of outward. I am thankful that Sarah and I are a part of a church now that reaches out (because I have a lot to learn in that area). They have a non-profit coffee house that sponsors community events, raises money for community charities and just out and out ministers to people on a daily basis. Next month, the church is sponsoring a benefit concert for Zimbabwe. But I find that this church is the exception and not the norm. Sure, churches are willing to raise money to send members to some faraway land to ministry but what about right outside the doors? And it seems the bigger they are, the more selfish. As I think about Hurricane Katrina, I wonder what churches will do to help? I wonder what New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary will do? Last time I was there, it struck me that here's this institution dedicated to educating ministers and it's in the middle of an impoverished neighborhood surrounded by a 10 foot wall. What kind of message does that communicate? Here are some other examples:
- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas, is in the middle of lower to middle class Latino neighborhood. While I was there, I saw nothing being done to reach out to the neighborhood. In fact, the one time I saw a homeless man on campus, he was driven away.
-Brownsville Assembly of God in Pensacola, Florida has been the site for one of the largest (so-called) revivals in recent history. The church is located in the midst of a rough area of town surrounded by No Tell Motels. During the revival, the church harrassed those who parked in it's lot illegally yet took up all the spaces of the surrounding area businesses for it's revival. The neighborhood has not been revitalized at all. Prostitution and drug use are still rampant.
-The Rock of Asheville (North Carolina) had a Christmas program for the community last year. All through the program, they stated that this was their gift to the community. At the end of the performance, they begged for a love offering. If it was a gift, why expect money? Isn't a gift free with no expectation of reciprocation?
So, what's to be done? I don't know. I'm just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to being selfish. I just think it would be wise to remember what Jesus said before he headed on out to be with the Father. "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20 The Message)

No comments: