Saturday, June 10, 2006

Good Deed for the Day

On Thursday as Sarah and I exited the theatre on our way to deal with my storage issues, we met an elderly blind man in front of the thrift store. Basically he said, "Hello" and "Help." At first, we just thought he needed to get to the drugstore so I grabbed his arm and off we went while Sarah went on to the jeep. Once there, I found out he needed to get to the Greenwood Senior Center which is about 10 blocks away. He was gonna walk it but I said, "No way" and we gave him a ride. His name was Bob and he was a nice fellow. Turns out he's on the board at the Senior Center which is throwing a benefit concert at the theatre which I am running sound for. So, we dropped him off and I told him I would look for him on Sunday.
I'm so glad he asked for help. I admire that fact that he is independent enough to think he could do it on his own but I'm also proud that he came to the realization that he needed help and asked for it. I would have never been alert enough to know he was needing assistance. I have a tendency to walk with my head down in the streets. It's a nice neighborhood but there are some homeless who want handouts from time to time. Downtown they can be a bit obnoxious at times. A couple of weeks ago, I had one guy who got in front of me and wouldn't let me go on until he delivered his schpiel. I would have given him something but I don't carry cash. I wish it didn't have to be like that. I wish I could help people without thinking, "Are they legit? Are they really hungry or are they going to go booze it up?"

No comments: