Monday, June 18, 2007

Father's Day, Fremont and Mental Illness

Yesterday was a funky day.
Sarah and I were heathens and skipped church. Saturday found us both pulling 12 hour days at the theatre so, needless to say, we were beat. We woke and took our time getting ready. Sarah called her dad. We decided to take a trip to Fremont for the Sunday Market but when we got there we began to slowly realize that, instead of the market, we were in the middle of the annual Fremont Fair. Well, we strolled around and went to the antique shops since that's what we went down there for but we did stop and see a few things at the fair. The Art Cars were pretty cool. There was a very good band playing called Out From Underneath. I wish I could have stuck around to hear them play more but we were under a time constraint. I bought a few items for collage purposes and Sarah bought some cool vintage greeting cards.
On our way back to the jeep, we saw a guy in a fig leaf. It turns out this was also the weekend for the Solstice Parade. I had hoped to go this year and had been told it was on the 23rd. I was told wrong. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to see the naked bicycle procession.
We also passed a booth where folks were lined up to get a card reading. Sarah commented that it was wild that people believed in that stuff. I told her that they thought we were just as weird for believing in God. With that, we headed off to LifeGroup.
We got there late and everyone had eaten. We grabbed a bite, chatted for a while and then started our discussion of A Beautiful Mind. I had no idea where we were going to go with the conversation but it ended up being a mish mash of mental illness/demon possession, God's ability to heal or not and the power of prayer and faith. It was a good discussion but it made my brain hurt.
I had tried to call my dad during the drive down to Fremont but they were at Cracker Barrel (yum...country cooking) and couldn't hear a thing. When I got home I called again but they were out. Turns out they were at the hospital with my Granny. She's in her 90's and not doing too well. So, I wished my dad a Happy Father's Day and Sarah and I settled in, after a quick trip for take out mexican food, a phone battery and a DVD, to watch Ghost Rider. Okay, so I didn't expect much from Ghost Rider and it's a good thing too because it had little to deliver. Bad acting, dumb plot (actually, did it have a plot) and over the top special effects. The best thing about the movie was Sam Elliot who, even spouting dumb lines, is one of the coolest guys on the planet.
So, enough about my Sunday. What did you do for Father's Day?

No comments: