Monday, June 04, 2007

High School Musical

Sarah and I spent Sunday afternoon at Roosevelt High School's production of Thoroughly Modern Millie. The son of some friends of ours had one of the leads. I must admit, I knew Daniel was an amazing performer because I've seen him play Jean Valjean in a teen version of Les Miserables but I never expect much when it comes to school age drama. Well, I was blown away. This high school kicks major butt. The production was magnificent. The band was incredible. Daniel did an amazing job. It was just impressive.
After the show, I found myself in a strange melancholy. As I watched this incredible show performed by high school kids I began to be haunted by ghosts of regret. I was surrounded by kids whose parents support what they do regardless of the fact that it doesn't guarantee a financially secure future. These kids are realizing their dreams in a way that was never available to me. I was also hit by that familiar thought that enters my head at productions: "I wish I was up there with them." Even though I'm concentrating on my art and writing right now, I still wish I had the time and opportunity to do some acting.
So, once again I have to push back the regret and envy and concentrate on the tasks at hand...making and promoting my art and working on my writing. That should be enough. Why isn't it enough?

No comments: