Monday, June 04, 2007

Things I Learned on the Cruise

Cruise Related Lessons
If you want it, bring it. Next time I will bring my Caffiene-Free Diet Coke. We also learned that you can bring your own alcohol aboard. I wonder if I can fit a blender in my suitcase?
All cruise lines are different. We learned that Princess is low on the totem pole as far as food quality is concerned. If we go again, we will shop around.
Get a room with a balcony. The inner cabins are stuffy and dry. If cost prohibits getting a balcony then I will bring a humidifier.
Bring a power strip. We had one outlet with two plugs for all our various and sundry appliances. We had to unplug to plug all week.
Bring a hair dryer. This one is for Sarah. The hair dryers on the ship sucked.
Bring motion sickness medicine. We could have used it the first night.
Personal Lessons
The adjustment back to "real life" has been difficult. We had such a great time in Alaska. Sarah and I both knew we were in a rut when we left. Returning to the same old rut is depressing. I know that the rut can be conquered but I'm not sure how to do it.
I didn't miss a single person from Seattle while I was gone. This realization made me sad. I've written before on this blog about how hard it is to make friends in Seattle. I believe I have some great aquaintances that are possibly headed toward friendship but no real friends. I don't think Sarah would totally agree with my assessment. I think she has some close friendships developing with some folks. I know she has people she can talk to. I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to except Sarah. I know it'll be tough for me to find someone to relate to. I'm a creative, sports hating, solitary guy who likes different types of music and art that no one else likes. But it'd be nice to have a friend.
Sarah and I need to take time off when we can. Now that we both have a job that provides vacation time, we need to take advantage of it. Even if it's a mini-getaway to Victoria for a night or two, it's important for our overall health to do this.
To Sum Things Up...
The cruise was great but the adjustment back to life is painful. Perhaps that signals some degree of dissatisfaction with the status quo. It'll be up to us to examine this and adjust. Life is short. We've gotta make the best of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember that painful feeling of coming home (we took a cruise to the Bahamas about 5 years ago). You have to start cooking meals again. You don't get to just lay around if you want. Yup. It is tough.

I agree that the older I get, the harder it is to make new friends. We've been in Waco now for almost two years and it still feels like we're just starting to get to know some folks. You move to a new place where people your own age are already established and have their own circles and it is hard to crack in.

To quote, "Life is short. Make the best of it." I'm just trying to live in the moment myself.