Monday, July 17, 2006

Plant Amnesty

Today while driving home from Target, Sarah and I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said, "I Support Plant Amnesty." Now, this got me to thinking. I'm thinking amnesty is granting freedom or pardon for political crimes. Now, you can set a plant free, but where's it gonna go. It's not the same as freeing a bird or a person. Lynyrd Skynyrd didn't write the song "Free Birch." A plant pretty much has to stay where it's rooted. So, as I am prone to do when I see things that seem a might off kilter, I decide to look up this info on the internet.
Turns out, Plant Amnesty is an organization whose "mission is to end the senseless torture and mutilation of trees and shrubs." Now, that sounds a bit tree-huggy to me but I think it's a good thing. There are (were) some beautiful trees near our apartment and ASPLUNDH (what does that mean?) came and chopped the hell out of them one Sunday morning. Ruined the trees and woke us up. I say leave the trees alone and let the people sleep. We're doing Sunday night church this summer thank you!
So, being one who loves trees but not enough to really hug one, I must also support Plant Amnesty. I boldly stand with my brothers and sisters and shout the battle cry with a loud voice, "LEAF THEM ALONE!"
Oh, you don't have a battle cry? Well, do you want one? I thought that was a good one. Okay...I won't come to your meetings.

No comments: