Thursday, September 13, 2007

Booklist

Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross
"Kingdom Come was a four-issue comic book limited series published in 1996 by DC Comics. It was written by Mark Waid and painted in gouache by Alex Ross, who also developed the concept from an original idea. Set some 20 years into the future of the current DC Universe, it deals with a growing conflict between "traditional" superheroes, such as Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Justice League, and a growing population of largely amoral and dangerously irresponsible new vigilantes. Between these two groups is Batman and his assembled team, who attempt to contain the escalating disaster, foil the machinations of Lex Luthor, and prevent a world-ending superhuman war."*
I've always avoided the artwork of Alex Ross for some reason I cannot grasp. It's not traditional, that's for sure but I don't think that's it. I think it has something to do with the faces and body types he has given the superheroes. The faces all resemble each other as if they all came from two great superhero parents. The bodies, both men and women, look as if they are several bites away from Jenny Craig. I don't know. It kind of creeps me out. Ross is a pretty amazing draughtsman and painter. I just don't like his style.
The story was mediocre. It didn't suck me in. There were parts of it that reeked of Frank Miller's influence from The Dark Knight Returns. I don't know. It just didn't do it for me.
I am getting so nostalgic in my old age. I want music to be the way it was in the 70's and I want my comic book heroes to return to the simpler days of storylines I can follow without having to buy 400 titles. I never thought I would be that guy but I guess I am.
SIGH.
*Source: Wikipedia

No comments: