Friday, March 14, 2008

Max

Our Max is gone. We had to put him to sleep a little while ago. His health had been travelling downhill for quite a while now but we just kept hoping that he would snap back or that he would pass peacefully in his sleep. Anything to keep us from having to make that difficult decision. But after talking with the vet we decided it was time to give him peace from his pain. And it was so hard. Sarah and I are not doing well. We both loved him so much.
His chair is empty now and we don't know what to do with ourselves. I know the pain will pass but we're raw right now. The simple truth is Max hasn't truly been himself for a while. He grew old very fast. I remember being to pick him up and hold him like a baby but I haven't been able to do that for several months because of the arthritis in his back. When my cat Trinity died 3 months after moving out here, Max seemed to sense that I needed him and he was truly my buddy ever since. Sarah actually knew I was the "one" because of Max. Max was very skittish and when we first met she told me that I might never see him. Well, the first day we met he came out and I was able to scratch his head. The second weekend I went to see Sarah, she went to a meeting at church and when she came home Max was sitting in my lap while we watched a movie. Most people didn't know he existed because he always hid but he loved me almost from day one.
He was a good kitty and we are going to miss him alot.

2 comments:

becca said...

Losing a pet is hard. I am so sorry.
There are still times when I miss my Tiger and she passed away 8 years ago.
God keep you both.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Max. I remember when Grace died, it was heart-wrenching. Four-footed and furry, but still part of the family.