Saturday, December 08, 2007

Art Update

I've sold a few more pieces. The small canvas collages I created seem to be a hit. I took 9 down to Twilight a couple of weeks ago and 4 sold immediately. I will have to get cranking on more of those. I hope the prints take off as well.
A guy called me this morning from Candle's Cafe wanting to know if I'd take $75 for a $100 piece. I really didn't want to do it but I did. My justification was that if I had sold the piece somewhere that charges commission I probably wouldn't have gotten that much out of it. But part of me wants to say no. It's art and it's worth at least $100. In terms of supplies involved, the pieces cost next to nothing but the time investment is pretty significant. If I thought I could get more than $100 out of one of them, I would charge that. But alas, people just don't buy art. So I've priced them to move. I just don't know if I want to be haggled down as if it was something at a garage sale. What do you think?
So, the new year looks to be pretty busy. Jan. and Feb. find me with 5 different show opportunities whether they be solo or group. I hope that 2008 will prove to be the year that my art really starts to take off. We'll see.

2 comments:

Linda Blondheim said...

When you are starting out it is a good idea to start low. When your work starts selling as fast as you can get it out of the studio, start to increase your prices a little at a time.

I enjoyed your blog.
Linda Blondheim
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

becca said...

I've done it with my beads. People would ask and I'd be like, 'well, something for it is better than nothing...' But then I'd feel all yuck about it. I don't know. I understand the desire to get it sold, get the money, get it gone so you can buy more supplies, or food or whatever. But it's worth what you had it marked for. It's worth more than that. It's all in what you end up thinking about it afterwards really.