Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Messy Spirituality

Great interview with Mike Yaconelli here. Do yourself a favor and read it or jump over to the Kindlings Muse and give it a listen.
I have forgotten about Mike over the past few years since he passed away. I had the privilege of meeting him once. He signed my copy of Dangerous Wonder, his first book I believe, and a good one. I'm going to have to get a copy of Messy Spirituality. Listening to this interview is one of the most refreshing things I've listened to about Christianity in a long time. In the interview, he talks about being stuck.
"Well, I was always that, you know, when you’re stuck in life, that’s a bad place. And that’s wrong. It’s actually wrong to be stuck. And I’m thinking to myself, get outa here. Being stuck is a great place. There’s a lot of people who are listening to this right now and you’re going, I’m stuck, man. I don’t know where to go. I’m paralyzed. I can’t seem to move. And the reality is that’s a great place because you can’t get unstuck until you realize you are stuck. And what I’m saying is that’s one of the areas of spiritual growth. When I wake up one day and go, man, I am dead, I am dying, I am dull, I have had it. I’m in a dead end. This isn’t working. And I go, maybe I ought to check into something that works. That’s what stuckness is all about. It’s a great place."

I'm not sure I agree with that but I'll think about it some more. I am definitely stuck and I have been for a couple of years now. I guess the problem I have is that I haven't found that thing that works yet. I'm still looking though.

No comments: